Friday, July 01, 2005

Social politics

So the other night at dinner (the other night being last night) I was talking with two of my dad's old work friends and my parents. At dinner one news item was brought up which I'd not seen on the nightly news nor in the pages of the paper I'd seen that day. However this is a significant news item which we should consider.

Our neighbors to the North have always been a bit more liberal than here in the USA. And unlike our president who seeks to ban it, Canadian Prime Minister Paul Martin and other liberal leaning canadians have pushed legislation through the House of Commons that will leagalize same sex marriage. It is expected to easily pass in their Senate and become law by the end of July.

One thing Martin said which I found quoteworthy

We are a nation of minorities. And in a nation of minorities, it is
important that you don’t cherry-pick rights.


More can be seen here. And here. And here as well. And more if you care to look.