Saturday, February 03, 2007

Dear Blogger: I hate the new you.

Dear Blogger

I do not like or approve of you being acquired by Google. At first I was okay with it because my blogger experience remained the same. Your beta version was optional and I could ignore it. But that is no longer the case.

Now that I have been forced to merge my account, in order to log in I have to type 18 characters as my username (8 characters, an at sign, and then 9 characters more) and that’s inconvenient. I was with blogger long enough to have a 3 letter name the 15 extra characters now required to log in- piss me off. In addition the dashboard is cluttered,.the big blue links look child like and take too much room, the settings are such that less than 2/3 of the screen is being used and the remaining space is wasted on the color beige (Which is boring and useless.) . Your new features, I don’t need or want. If I wanted a private blog I’d go use my LiveJournal. I’m patient enough to wait for my publishing. Your dashboard sucks. And if I really wanted a more interesting template I’d write it myself.

The feature I really want? To have your service unaltered. To use the same basic program I have enjoyed the last 5 years. To have a 3 letter name which I could not get using google. And despite record profits, creating many millionaires and hiring hundreds of brilliant people- google does not include that in it’s agenda. So blogger- I’m sorry to say: You suck. You’ve sold out, you’re being repackaged in a way which is degrading, and you’re becoming worse at providing the basic services your company was meant to provide in order to add unnecessary features.

And Google? I don’t care if you’re a billion dollar company with technology from everything from GPS and former NASA programs to online shopping services. I have nothing against monopolies. But I do have issues with company’s eliminating portions of companies they acquire and in doing so degrading the service. It’s not that you’re a monopoly, it’s that you made a very useful and capable service dumbed down to a kindergarten level to the point where it’s degrading to the user, and annoying to look at. It’s like going from a classic wooden playground to useless pieces of shinny plastic: safe, stupid, obnoxious and in no way fun.

Sincerely disappointed in being forced to deal with you jokers

Urv. Oh wait. That username is dead. Because of you.
UNagrani@gmail.com
15 characters too many to sign in.

Labels: , , , , , ,